Register | Login

Domestic Energy Assessor

Source of Information: Next Step / DirectGov / Careers Advice Service

Domestic Energy Assessor

The Work

A domestic energy assessor (DEA) tests the energy efficiency of buildings and suggests how it can be improved. The job role was created by the need for homeowners to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) whenever homes are put on the market or rented out in England and Wales.

As a DEA you would:

  • inspect properties to collect information on their age, number of storeys, building type, heating and hot water systems
  • take note of the number and size of corridors, windows and fireplaces
  • enter the information into a computer software programme, which will produce an energy efficiency rating and an EPC
  • explain efficiency ratings to homeowners
  • give practical advice to owners on how to improve the energy efficiency of their home. 

The EPC is a compulsory part of the Home Information Pack (HIP). Visit the Business Link website for more information.

It is important that you assess the business opportunities in your area before making any commitment to a career in this field.

Hours and Environment

You could choose to work full-time or part-time, but you may need to carry out inspections in the evenings or at weekends to suit your clients.

As a self-employed DEA you would be able to arrange your working hours according to your workload.

Skills and Interests

  • an understanding of the laws surrounding the role
  • IT skills for using computer software to produce the EPC
  • the ability to explain the contents of the EPC clearly to clients
  • the ability to make good working relationships with a wide range of people
  • good observational skills
  • the ability to take accurate measurements
  • good time-management skills
  • a thorough, methodical and consistent approach
  • the ability to keep legible, complete and accurate records
  • knowledge of construction methods, construction materials and heating systems
  • the skills to run a small business (if self-employed).


To become accredited as a DEA you would need the Level 3 Diploma in Domestic Energy Assessment (Dip DEA). This involves completing at least five assessed EPCs and taking a multiple choice exam.

The amount of training you need before taking the Diploma will depend on the skills you already have. If you have experience in a related field, for example in property surveying or construction, you will need less training than if you are new to this type of work.

It is important that you assess the business opportunities in your area before making any commitment to a career in this field.

The Dip DEA is provided by three awarding bodies:

  • Awarding Body for the Built Environment (ABBE)
  • City & Guilds
  • National Federation of Property Professionals Awarding Body (NFOPP).

See the websites of the awarding bodies for details of the qualifications. Many colleges and private training providers offer relevant training.

To get an idea of the amount of training you are likely to need you can read the National Occupational Standards for DEAs on the Asset Skills Energy Assessors website. These set out all the knowledge and skills you would need as a DEA.

You would normally need a driving licence, as your work as a DEA would involve travelling to different locations to carry out inspections.

If you already have considerable experience in surveying or energy assessment, the accreditation of prior experiential learning (APEL) route may be suitable. This means that you will need to prove to the accreditation scheme that you are competent to be a DEA without the need for completing the diploma.

If you think you may be eligible for the APEL route to accreditation, you should check with the accreditation schemes which offer this route so that they can assess whether it would be suitable for you. See the Asset Skills Energy Assesors website for details.

Scotland and Northern Ireland
Arrangements are slightly different in Scotland and Northern Ireland. For details see the following websites:


Before you can work as a DEA you will need to join an approved accreditation scheme. This will involve:

  • a criminal records check
  • a check that your qualifications and or experience is valid
  • taking out professional indemnity insurance
  • keeping your skills and knowledge up-to-date through continuing professional development (CPD).

Visit the Communities and Local Government (CLG) website for details of approved accreditation schemes.


EPCs became compulsory for non-domestic buildings in October 2008. Domestic energy assessors can choose to do further training so that they can carry out these assessments. See the Commercial Energy Assessor profile and the CLG website for details.

When you have qualified as a DEA, you may have the opportunity to gain a ‘top up’ qualification to become a home inspector. You could also take the ABBE Level 4 Certificate in Valuation of Residential Property for Secured Lending. See the Home Inspector profile and the ABBE website for details.

Possible employers include HIP providers, solicitors, estate agents, surveyors and valuers. You could also be self-employed.

It is important that you assess the business opportunities in your area before making any commitment to doing training.

Annual Income

Earnings will be determined by market conditions in your area and the type, size and complexity of the property.


Email Address



Submit CV