Register | Login

Land and Property Valuer and Auctioneer

Source of Information: Next Step / DirectGov / Careers Advice Service

Land and Property Valuer and Auctioneer

The Work

Land and property valuers/auctioneers estimate the market value of land, buildings and commercial property (real estate) for clients, in order to maximise profit from its sale or rental income. Local authorities also use these valuations to help set council tax and rating levels. Valuers are normally qualified surveyors who specialise in this particular field.

Your job as a land and property valuer would involve researching and writing detailed reports for clients about their assets. Once the client is happy with your findings, you would organise the auction sale, market it to attract potential bidders, and manage the auction process itself.

You would also carry out other work for clients, including:

  • business and insurance valuations
  • compensation assessments
  • investment appraisals and advice.

You would need to be aware of the issues that can influence price, such as location, business potential, and legal, social and economic factors.

You may be able to specialise in dispute resolution, which could include appearing as an expert witness if a party starts formal legal proceedings to sort out a disagreement. You could also specialise in valuing and auctioning machinery if a business closes down or is sold off.

Hours and Environment

You would normally work 37 to 40 hours a week. Some property viewings and auctions may take place on evenings and weekends to maximise attendance.

Your job would be a combination of office work and fieldwork. Some auctions may be held outdoors when conditions allow. You would spend some of your time visiting sites and travelling to meet clients.

Skills and Interests

  • excellent communication and presentation skills
  • good maths and IT skills
  • excellent negotiating skills
  • the ability to show tact and diplomacy at all times
  • good organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure
  • an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation
  • a commitment to continual professional development
  • the ability to prepare written evidence in connection with valuation disputes.

Foreign language skills may be useful if you want to work for companies involved in valuing assets abroad.


You would normally need a degree or professional qualification approved by the Royal Institution for Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to become a land and property valuer. Relevant subjects include:

  • surveying
  • economics
  • law
  • real estate management (valuation and management).

You can search for accredited qualifications on the dedicated RICS Courses website.

If you have a BTEC HNC/HND or foundation degree in surveying, you may be able to start work as a surveying technician and take further study to fully qualify.

The nature of the work means that you are likely to need a driving licence.

For more details about valuation careers and degree course providers, visit the RICS website.


You should continue to update your knowledge and skills throughout your career. You would normally do this by working towards chartered status through the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) scheme.

To qualify for chartered status through the RICS, you must complete the RICS APC while you are working. You will need two years' work experience and you will have to attend an interview with a panel of assessors.

If you are a qualified surveyor, your employer would put you through auctioneering training. The RICS website has information guides on the auctioneering process.

The Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) offers training that covers the valuation, legal and taxation aspects of this job. They also offer a professional membership scheme which could help your career prospects. For more details, see the IRRV website.

If you are working as a surveying technician, you could take the NVQ Level 4 in Valuation, offered by the Awarding Body for the Built Environment (ABBE). On completion of this, you could then apply for Technician grade membership with the IRRV.


You could find work with a range of employers, such as:

  • estate agencies
  • local authorities
  • auctioneers
  • surveying firms
  • banks and building societies
  • the civil service
  • the government's Valuation Office Agency.

With experience, you could become a project manager, company partner or work as a freelance consultant.

You may find the following useful for job vacancies and general reading (links open in a new window):

RICS Recruit
Property Week
Estates Gazette Property Jobs

We do not accept responsibility for the content of external sites.

Annual Income

  • Starting salaries can be between 20,000 and 23,000 a year.
  • With experience, this can rise to between 24,000 and 36,000.
  • Chartered land and property valuers can earn around 40,000 a year.

Freelance land and property valuers charge according to their experience and type of contract.

Figures are intended as a guideline only.

Further information

If you would like to discuss your career options with a learning advisor at the Careers Advice Service advice line, call 0800 100 900 or use our online enquiry form.


Email Address



Submit CV